Understanding What Causes Tooth Sensitivity
Tooth sensitivity is a common but treatable problem that causes pain or uncomfortable sensations when you eat cold, hot, sweet or acid foods. Breathing in cold air or brushing and flossing your teeth may also be painful. Many things can cause sensitive teeth and gums, but all cases are treatable by over-the-counter products, lifestyle changes, or professional dental care. If your sensitivity doesn’t respond to conservative measures, or your symptoms get worse, be sure to see your dentist in Chantilly.
Common Causes of Sensitive Teeth and Gums
- If you are between 25 and 30 years old, you are more likely to experience sensitive teeth and gums.
- Over-zealous brushing or using a hard-bristled toothbrush can wear down your tooth enamel, causing your gums to recede and expose dentin.
- Gum disease can cause sensitivity. It leads to decay and enamel breakdown, which exposes dentin. It also causes infection that attacks the roots of teeth and causes receding gums.
- Bleaching or teeth-whitening products irritate areas where dentin is exposed. Even healthy teeth may become sensitive after using products containing peroxide or baking soda.
- Chipped or cracked teeth can cause dentin to be exposed. The exposed area may also attract bacteria, leading to infection and inflammation of the nerve.
- Dental procedures and professional cleanings may cause temporary sensitivity that should resolve within six weeks. If symptoms continue or worsen, consult your dentist.
- Teeth grinding, also called bruxism, can erode your tooth enamel and expose underlying dentin.
How to Help Sensitive Teeth Feel Better
- Maintain consistent dental care by brushing twice a day and flossing daily.
- Prevent teeth grinding at night by wearing a mouth guard.
- Use a fluoride mouthwash.
- Avoid acidic foods like lemons, oranges, and tomatoes.
- Use a soft toothbrush, and clean your sensitive teeth and gums gently.
- Visit your dentist in Chantilly regularly to ensure great dental health.
- Try using toothpaste made for sensitive teeth.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Chantilly, call Dental One Associates of Chantilly today at (703) 722-8443 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Chantilly. With 5 affiliated practices throughout Virginia, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Chantilly, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Chantilly.