Keep Tooth Decay Far away with Dental Sealants
If you’re concerned about cavities, discover the decay defense of dental sealants. Learn how family dentistry experts use these simple sealants to stop decay from destroying smiles.
The Strengths of Sealants
Dental sealants are thin, plastic coatings applied directly onto the chewing surfaces of the back teeth. They form a protective barrier against the food and bacteria that can gather in the grooves of these teeth and cause cavities. Family dentistry experts recommend dental sealants to protect these vulnerable teeth and prevent the development of decay. Sealants can be either clear or tinted, so they are virtually unnoticeable, yet provide the assurance of cavity protection. Another advantage is that sealants usually cost much less than fillings. They are offered at most affordable dentistry practices, so you can save both your smile and the cost of later treatment.
The Ages for Application
Many people have never heard of dental sealants, but they were actually developed in the early 1960s. Today, dental sealants are widely used by family dentistry specialists on children, teens, and adults. The greatest benefits from sealants come from applying them at the following times:
- Children should get sealants on their first permanent molars as soon as they emerge, which usually happens between the ages of five and seven.
- Kids should also get sealants on their second permanent molars once they appear in their early teen years.
- Children may also need sealants on teeth other than their molars, based on their dental care needs.
- In some cases, baby teeth may benefit from the protection of dental sealants.
- Teens and adults without existing decay or fillings in their molars can get sealants at any time to protect against future decay.
6 Simple Steps for Sealants
Dental sealants can be applied in a single visit to your affordable dentistry practice. Many people are surprised that the process is so quick, easy, and painless. The entire procedure is done with these few simple steps:
- The teeth being treated are well cleaned.
- A special solution is placed on the teeth to prepare them to bond to the sealant.
- That solution is rinsed away and the teeth are dried.
- The liquid sealant material is applied over the deep grooves of the teeth.
- A special light is used to harden the sealant.
- Once the sealant is set, it is ready to protect those teeth from cavities.
While sealants can last for more than ten years, they can also chip, break, or come off. That’s why it’s important to have your family dentistry specialist examine your sealants at each of your dental check-ups. If they show signs of wear, they can be easily and affordably replaced to continue protecting your smile.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Chantilly, call Dental One Associates of Chantilly today at (703) 722-8443 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Chantilly. With 6 affiliated practices throughout Virginia, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Chantilly, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Chantilly.