Extract All of the Details About Wisdom Teeth Removal
Wisdom teeth are the third molars that usually come in during a person’s teens or early 20s, but sometimes they don’t appear at all. Yet these teeth are typically removed because they can erupt improperly, become decayed, cause pain, or get trapped inside the gums to become impacted wisdom teeth. If you experience any of these conditions, a dentist or oral surgeon will remove the wisdom teeth in a simple outpatient procedure.
Preparing for the Procedure
Only a dentist or oral surgeon can detect whether you have impacted wisdom teeth and require wisdom teeth removal. After taking an x-ray of the area, the dentist will understand your situation and prescribe the proper treatment to prevent future wisdom teeth pain and problems. If surgery is recommended, you will be given preparation instructions such as the following:
- You will need to provide your full medical and dental history, along with all medications and supplements you are currently taking.
- Since you will be given anesthesia during the surgery to remove the impacted wisdom teeth, you’ll be advised on how to safely prepare.
- Do not eat or drink anything for eight hours before the surgery.
- Alert the dentist if you are sick right before the procedure because it may need to be delayed.
- Do not smoke on the day of surgery because this will increase your risk of complications.
- Arrange for transportation and assistance at home for the day of surgery.
- Follow all post-surgery instructions to ensure healthy healing.
What to Expect in the Extraction
There are two types of extractions. In a simple extraction, a general dentist easily loosens the tooth from the gum and removes it. In the more complex surgical extraction, either an oral surgeon or dentist must make an incision in the gum or cut away the bone to remove the tooth. You will be given anesthesia for both procedures to numb your mouth and help you relax. After the impacted wisdom teeth have been removed, you will need to bite down on a piece of gauze to allow a blood clot to form over the site of extraction. This will protect the area and allow it to heal. It is extremely important not to disturb the blood clot while you recover to avoid any complications.
Rules for Recovery
First of all, follow the post-surgery instructions provided by your dentist and don’t hesitate to call their office if you have any questions. It’s completely normal to feel some wisdom teeth pain for a few days following the extraction. The degree of discomfort will depend on the severity of your situation. Realize that most wisdom teeth pain subsides in a few days, but healing takes at least two weeks. To make your recovery from wisdom teeth removal easier, most dentists recommend these helpful hints:
- Take over-the-counter or prescribed pain medication as directed by your dentist.
- Place ice packs on your face for 20 minutes at a time to reduce any swelling.
- After the swelling subsides, soothe a sore jaw with warm compresses.
- The day after surgery, start gently rinsing your mouth with warm salt water a few times a day to clean the area and prevent infection.
- Choose soft foods for the first few days after wisdom teeth removal, trying other foods as you feel comfortable.
- Do not use a straw, spit, or smoke after surgery since this can dislodge the protective blood clot.
- Call your dentist immediately if you experience severe swelling, fever, chills, or redness since this may indicate a complication that needs to be treated.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Chantilly, call Dental One Associates of Chantilly today at (703) 722-8443 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Chantilly. With 6 affiliated practices throughout Virginia, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Chantilly, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Chantilly.