Diabetes and the Danger of Periodontal Disease
If you have diabetes, you must be aware of the threat of periodontal disease. Not only can gum disease cause blood sugar levels to rise, but having diabetes puts you at a higher risk for this severe gum disease overall. Discover the best ways to protect yourself and your smile.
Periodontal disease often first appears as the mild gum inflammation of gingivitis, but it can quickly worsen into the more painful problem of periodontitis. To avoid experiencing any of this dental discomfort, follow these healthy tips:
- Brush at least twice a day.
- Floss at least once a day and be sure that the floss presses against the teeth instead of the gums.
- Stay aware of soreness or redness in the gums.
- Maintain blood sugar levels within your target range.
Pursue Professional Protection
To avoid the pain of periodontitis and detect early signs of gingivitis:
- Schedule check-ups and cleanings with your dentist in Chantilly every six months.
- Diabetes demands special precautions, so remind your dentist that you have the disease because numerous dental procedures can have an impact on blood sugar levels.
Be Careful About Care
Your health is your highest priority. And if you’re dealing with diabetes, it’s important to avoid any dangers associated with periodontal disease. Follow these safety strategies:
- Make an appointment with your dentist immediately if you see signs of a possible problem.
- Postpone dental surgery if your blood sugar levels exceed your target range because your body is at a greater risk of developing an infection post-procedure.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Chantilly, call Dental One Associates of Chantilly today at (703) 722-8443 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Chantilly. With 6 affiliated practices throughout Virginia, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Chantilly, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Chantilly.